Sunday, April 22, 2007

Cruisin'

It has been a few days now since I left the boat in Demry. I am just now getting my land-legs back. Thank goodness. The boat was fun. If the weather would have cooperated more than it would have even been better. We departed Fethiye on Sunday morning. Sunday was by far the hottest day. That day we sailed for 3 or 4 hours. We first stopped in the harbor called the Blue Lagoon. Myself and a few other people jumped in and swam. The water was freezing. The water was so called it took your breath away as soon as you got in. We picked up anchor and went around the bend and stopped at Butterfly Valley. Supposedly this is a haven for hippies protecting a certain species of butterflys. I jumped in and swam to the beach while holding my camera and flip-flops with my right arm out of the water. The water here was way warmer. A few of us hiked up to the waterfall. I believe it was about 800 KM. I ran into a few of the locals and they didnt really look like hippies. Granted they had dreads but that doesnt really classify you as a hippie. They were tilling the ground to plant crops. They also had a greenhouse and a few cows. You could actually stay here if you wanted. They had little shack type houses to stay in. After the hike I swam back to the boat. Thankfully my camera never got wet. That night we ported by St. Nicholas's Island. This is were St. Nick, aka Santa Clause, was born. The next day was the worst day of the whole trip. Myself and a few Aussies stayed up until 3 that morning drinking. It was really fun actually because these guys came onboard to fix the chain that pulls up the anchor. I got to ride with the captain in the dingy back to shore at 3:30. But that morning when we woke up the waves were really bad and it was windy. I wasnt hungover and felt fine until the boat started moving. I stayed in my cabin for most of the day with my eyes closed listening to my Ipod. We ported for lunch in the seaside village of Kas. Thankfully because I was able to get off the boat and walk around for a few hours. I forget were we ported that night for the evening. The weather the third day was much better than the day before. It was still windy but at least we had sun. It was so windy that we stayed in a cove for almost the whole day. We stopped at the island of Simena to check out a castle. It was funny because as soon as we landed and started climbing up, all the locals came down to meet us with scarfs, necklaces, and other items. An old lady took myself and two others up to the castle and gave us a personal tour. When we finally left the cove we only went about an hour before stopping for the evening. The next day was what we should have had the whole trip. It was hot and sunny and hardly any wind. We stopped outside of Pirate's Cove. I am not sure how it got its name but that is just what it is called. Myself and a few others swam to it and inside. I didnt realize how far the boat was away from it before I jumped in. It took me a good amount of time to actually get inside. Then I waited for 5 minutes while I got my breath back. We arrived in Demry in the afternoon on Wednesday. There we caught a bus to Olympos. I will save that story for another day while I am here in Goreme. Cheers.

Part of the guests.

The city of Kas

Where all the magic happens

castle of top of Simena

our tour guide on Simena

the Baba Veil, our ship









The boat.


Looking down from the waterfall in Butterfly Valley.

Waterfall at the top of Butterfly Valley


Butterfly Valley

Butteryfly Valley

Butterfly Valley


Outside Fethiye harbor


Leaving Fethiye on the boat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

to bad the weather didnt cooperate with you,,sea sick isnt fun? be safe and keep posting us with pics.
love,mom/dad